Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2014

My experience at Fuji Rock Festival 2014

Back in April 2014, I found out that Arcade Fire was going to headline Fuji Rock Festival 2014 on its 2nd day (26th July 2014). My husband & I already visited the Kansai region (Osaka/Kyoto etc) back in May 2013 for our honeymoon and we will make another trip to Okinawa for a friend's destination wedding in Sept 2014. Since end July 2014 is near Raya festival, tickets were pretty expensive so I put off the idea to watch my favourite band live.

However, sometime during end June 2014, Air Asia had a promo going on and return tickets were only about RM1,000.00 per pax. After much persuasion, my husband finally agreed to go to Fuji Rock with me. Isn't he the best?

I was only going to attend the festival on the 26th July 2014, and since Arcade Fire's slot was 930pm - 1130pm, taking the train back to Tokyo after the show was out of the question (limited by the train's operating hours). Ideally, I would have taken the official tour bus back to Tokyo (meaning, after Arcade Fire's performance, I could take the midnight bus, sleep in the bus and when I wake up, I'd be back in Tokyo) but due to last minute arrangement, they were sold out!

I tried looking for accommodation near the concert venue via Agoda / Air BNB but they were very expensive. As for accommodation options from the Fuji Rock website, there seemed to be waiting lists and quite frankly, it's confusing as some links were in Japanese. A travel agent I e-mailed told me that most accommodation owners release their rooms for 2 to 3 night bookings by choice.

And so we decided to just make use of the campsite at Fuji Rock.
Fuji Rock 1 day ticket + campsite is approximately RM767.73 per person. If you plan early, there's discounted 'early bird' ticket price.

Moving on to our preparation & gears:
We brought our own sleeping bags from Malaysia and purchased our tent from Don Quijote (Donki) in Akihabara. It costs RM100+ and can fit 3 person. We also bought 2 foldable stools from Donki in Nagoya (the store in Nagoya does not stock the 3 person tent, though). Each stool was like, less than RM20? We also bought rain ponchos (in case it rained) from Seria (a 100 yen shop) in Nagoya since no umbrellas allowed at the festival site. We also packed sunglasses, hat, torchlight, mosquito repellent and sunblock. I wore my Converse sneakers and brought along a pair of slippers. My husband wore his Crocs.

Finally, the day has arrived!
The venue is at Naeba Ski Resort, which is 1.25 hours by bullet train from Tokyo (RM197.26 per pax) + 40 min by shuttle bus (free). You could also take the local train if you are on a tight budget, it'll cost you RM100 or so, but it will take you much longer (about 4 hours).
We took the 744am bullet train from Tokyo station to Echigo-Yuzawa station, unreserved seat (being kiasu, I bought the bullet train tickets a few days earlier) Upon observation, the train was not full. Arrived at Echigo-Yuzawa about 8am and went to take the free shuttle bus. The line was not long, only about 5 minutes wait and we were whisked away on the 40 min scenic ride to the concert venue.


Bullet train (shinkansen) ticket

The shuttle bus queue at Echigo Yuzawa train station

Some people chose to stand for 40 min in the shuttle bus

Once we arrived at the concert venue, we collected our tickets, exchanged it for our wristbands, had breakfast, and went to the campsite to set up our tent.

We were lucky as a couple was just dismantling their tent (on flat ground, hooray!). My husband set up the tent in less than 5 minutes.
A couple dismantling their tent

 Our cosy tent

It did not rain on the day I was there. I was expecting the crowd to dress like something off "Coachella" (crop tops, bikini tops, daisy duke pants, flowers in the hair, fringed accessories) but no, most of the Japanese were in their practical & full camping gear complete with rain boots. Even though it was hot, most girls wore leggings/tights for protection against sun exposure. 
Men

Women
Children

Their Coleman / North Face camping and outdoor gear puts our Donki tent & stool to shame.




If the summer heat is too much to bear, there's a stream to cool down at.



Stream with cold water

All the stages were very far from each other, and you can't really walk fast from one stage to the other stage because there are just so many people! I think I mostly got tired from the walking around from one stage to the other!




Sea of people


Walkway after the Green Stage
Board walk

A spider we saw

Red Marquee












Kids land






Mokudo Tei - what a beautiful venue!

.








Field of Heaven


Orange Court


White Stage?






Concert goers sleeping




Green stage with brilliant evening backdrop

Plenty of food scattered around the festival site, average price JPY500 per meal or so? A mineral water will cost you JPY200.












Food stalls at the festival site

Travis performed in the afternoon and I really enjoyed listening to their familiar tunes.



Travis

I also watched Damon Albarn (720pm - 820pm; the act before Arcade Fire) who sounded quite different from his 'Blur' days.

Damon Albarn's set

During Damon Albarn's last song, we went to the front to get ready to go into the 'mosh pit' for Arcade Fire. When the gates opened, we managed to get close to the centre of the stage, about 4th or 5th from the front row. Those at the 1st or 2nd row were from Damon Albarn's mosh pit.

Waiting for the Arcade Fire performance

At 930pm SHARP, Arcade Fire came onstage. Their setlist (searched from the internet):

1) Reflektor
2) Flashbulb Eyes
3) Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
4) Rebellion (Lies)
5) Joan of Arc
6) The Suburbs
7) The Suburbs (Continued)
8) Ready to Start
9) Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
10) We Exist
11) No Cars Go
12) Haiti
13) Afterlife
14) It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)
15) Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
16) Normal Person
17) Here Comes the Night Time
18) Wake Up

It was so amazing! Teared up a little during "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)". I don't know why I like that song so much, I can listen to it continuously and I even used it as my wedding walk-in song. The haunting "It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)" was great, too. And of course, the confetti during "Here Comes the Night Time" drove me and everyone else delirious. There was a skimpily dressed girl near to us who was dancing like a deranged person, she was pushing and shoving people around with her 'moves'. At one instance when she was next to me, I planted my feet firmly to the ground, and when I feel her hip knocking into my hip, I just swinged my hip forcefully against hers, haha. Other random observation: Win Butler sounds like Adam Sandler when talking... His super talented wife, Regine Chassagne is a pleasure to watch, like a dancing little fairy...

Arcade Fire!
A burst of confetti during Here Comes the Night Time

More confetti!

After the performance, we went back to the campsite. Oh ya, before that, we bought some merchandise (still open even though nearing midnight). A blue Fuji Rock t-shirt for hubby and a pink Fuji Rock t-shirt for me. Almost RM100 per shirt. The Arcade Fire merchandise not really nice so I did not buy. If you want to get merchandise, buy early as the nice designs get sold out pretty fast!
The shower line was very long so we decided to bath in the morning. When I woke up about 545am, it was already bright, There were about 8 girls in the girls' shower line. The boys' line is longer. The thing I don't understand is, why are there only 10 showers (5 for men, 5 for women) for the ENTIRE CAMPSITE??? Anyway, it was about 30 minute wait for my turn. When I got in, 2 girls were undressing and 5 girls were showering. Yup, it's a 'communal' shower... bare your butt for all to see... Guess it's common and nothing to be ashamed of in Japan. Luckily I didn't know anyone there! I immediately felt refreshed after the hot morning shower.
After the shower, we packed and dismantled our tent, had a quick breakfast and took the free shuttle bus back to Echigo-yuzawa station. This time, we took the local train back to Tokyo.

That about sums up my Fuji Rock experience. It's really one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment